Saturday, September 22, 2007

NO PEANUTS!!!

We had a scary Friday afternoon.

Let me give some background info first. When Grace was around a year she was having some constipation issues and the doctor thought it might be food related so we allergy tested her for the big ones... wheat, corn, milk, peanuts, etc. We found out that she though this allergy test that she was allergic to peanuts. So we have never given her peanuts.

Well yesterday morning, I dropped off Grace with a friend for 2 hours while I ran down to the hospital to sign some papers and get her pre-registered for her eye surgery on the 1st. Grace had already eaten breakfast and I knew I would be back before lunch so I only packed some Cheese-its for a snack. Well as things would have it, my friends kids got hungry and she fed them some peanut butter crackers and cheese sticks. And you know how kids are... if one of the has something they all want it. She actually didn't know that Grace was allergic to peanuts... I just never thought to tell her and this was the first time she has watched Grace for me without me there. Anyway, she thinks Grace only ate maybe one cracker because she was more interested in the cheese (she LOVES cheese!).

When I picked her up she seemed like her normal little self so I brought her home fed her lunch (just spaghetti that she has had a good hundred times) and laid her down for a nap.

After about 1.5 hours she got up screaming. She is normally my pro napper, sleeping for 2-3 hours most days and usually wakes up happy. I went into her room I noticed that her ears were really red and looked a bit swollen. Then I realized within seconds that she was scratching her tummy like she had just been bitten by 10,000 ants! I pulled up her and shirt to see huge welts... a VERY bad rash! I pulled her out of crib and inspected her body to realize she had bumps and redness everywhere... her arms, back, tummy, diaper area, legs! (It looked very similar to the rash she had when we found out she was allergic to penicillin.) I immediately called the doctor and they told me to give her Benadryl and come in immediately.

I loaded her up and drove to the doctors office (30 minutes away). By the time I got there she had stopped itching, but was still very red and her poor ears looked so big! (I wish I had taken a picture, but I was so scared that was pretty far from my mind).

I knew the doctor would want to know what she ate, but everything I fed her she has had many times before... oatmeal and a banana for breakfast and spaghetti for lunch. Then I thought maybe my friend fed her something, so I called her on the way and she told me about the crackers. I knew that was probably our culprit. He thought for sure that was it and gave her a steroid shot and a prescription for some other stuff to help her skin clear up. Which today looks so much better!!!

He also gave us a prescription for EpiPens. An EpiPen is just a shot that we push into her thigh if was having a severe allergic reaction... like is she was having a hard time breathing or swallowing.... give her the shot then get to the emergency room b/c it is only temporary. He wants us to have one on hand at all times in case of an emergency. He said since she reacted like that to such a small dose of peanuts he just wants us to be safe in case. Especially as she gets older.

So moral of the story... tell everyone that my child is allergic to peanuts!!

Oh and my friend feels terrible. She called at least 3 times yesterday to make sure she was better.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry, that sounds terrifying! Especially because you didn't know that she had eaten the peanuts... Poor little girl.

Hope she is all better now.

Lu said...

Oh No! Bless your heart! I can't imagine! Glad she is doing better!

Ashley said...

I hope she starts feeling better soon. That is pretty scary and I feel bad for your friend. Even though I'm sure you've told her a hundred times it's not her fault, she was probably freaking out as much as you were.

I guess when my kids have friends over I should stay away from peanuts unless I know for sure they are not allergic!!!

The Duece Crew said...

OH my gosh. I can't imagine how scared you were. I'm glad she's better now. You should go to www.stuckonyou.biz If you go to personalized stickers, they have them for peanut allergies, and you can stick them on anything and they won't come off. Noah has them on his backpack, jackets, shoes.

Michelle said...

My mom is allergic to shellfish, she has or aleast I believe has always had one of those epipens on her and benedryl. I would put some benedryl in her diaper bag and in your purse. Oh my I would have been FREAKING out!!! Glad she is ok and you got it under contol.

Lindsay said...

Oh Honey, I am so sorry! Thank GOD it was an itchy rash only and that her throat did not close! That is a HUGE fear of mine!
The EpiPen is going to be a GREAT thing to have... thank goodness!
LOVE YOU GIRLS!

Erin said...

I am glad that she is okay. Wow, that is scary. I hope all goes weel this week!

Megan said...

Oh, Lisa. That's so scary!!!

I've always heard peanut allegies can be bad, but WOW...such a small amount did that?!

Glad Grace is feeling better!

Kaelyn & Shae said...

Oh my, that is so scary! I am so glad little Grace is feeling better now. Poor thing!