Tuesday, December 09, 2008

survey please... birthday party time!

So if you know me you know that I worry WAY more than I should about things that don't really matter. Anyway, this morning Emma got up and nursed at 6am and then fell back asleep. I couldn't fall back asleep b/c I was thinking about the girls birthdays parties. And I have been racking my brain all morning. SO I need your help...

Should have the girls birthday parties together or separate?

Just a little info that might help... my girls are 2 years and 3 weeks apart. Most of their friends are the same and many of their friends are born in between the two, thus making it that many friends will be invited to 2 parties. I guess I sort of feel like Emma should have a special 1st birthday, but why wouldn't it be special shared with her sister. If their birthdays weren't so close then I don't think this would bother me having 2 parties. Plus the financial burden of having 2 parties so close... makes me tired just thinking of it!

Oh and I should add that I just want a small little party with all thier little friends and grandparents. Nothing over the top. I was sort of thinking of having a Princess and Pirates Party... super cute idea I stole from someone else :)

Thanks ladies. ps... please tell me I'm not crazy for worrying about this when their birthdays are still a couple months away!

6 comments:

Hyperactive Lu said...

HA! I couldn't help but laugh! We're too much alike. I also have the same situation- Bubbie and Peanut's birthdays are two weeks apart. I thought about the same thing- 2 parties, 2 major house cleanings, 2 cakes, food, etc... So ended up having 2 parties for Bubbie- one family and one friends. We'll do a very small - just cake- for Peanut's 1st. You aren't crazy to think about it this early, because it'll be here sooner than you realize!!! :) Emma only turns 1 once, so I would do your normal 1st birthday party. I didn't do the boys together, because I didn't feel as though it was fair to my boys. It isn't their fault their birthdays are SO close together.... but that is just me.

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

My boys are in the same situation. They are both born in February and they are 1 year and 363 days apart!

Last year, I gave them separate parties. Looking back, that was dumb because they have the same friends and pretty much enjoy the same things. From now on, I will be having their birthdays together. You can still make it special on Emma's real first birthday but they can have their own little cakes and stuff. It will save you money and they will love getting to share it together. Emma wont remember her first birthday and so it will be special to her as long as you have pictures!!

Jenny Garland said...

Hey girl! You aren't silly for worrying about this stuff, that's what mommies do :) My opinion (since you did ask) is to throw them a joint party. Especially since you said most of their friends are the same and to save $. I like the idea of having a cake for Grace (a bigger one for everyone to share) and then a little wee one for Emma to dig into. I think it'll be a win-win and much less stressful to have one party. You'll get the cute 1st birthday digging into cake pics and Grace will have her special cake too!

Tiffany said...

You're not silly at all. I already bought Reagan's first b-day outfit, remember?!

I say do whatever makes you go the least crazy (and I know Adam would appreciate that too).

Jen said...

I don't think you're crazy AT ALL! I would totally worry over this one too if I were in your shoes.

With that being said if I had to decide this, I think I'd have a joint friends party for both girls and then have separate family parties for each of the girls. I know that would actually wind up being 3 parties...but I just know that my sister always felt like she got jiped (sp?) being the younger sister she didn't get to experience all the things I did on her own...so that's my two cents ;) I think I'm overly sensitive to these sort of issues though...b/c she is now 25 and I think it still affects her :) But maybe she is just crazy?? Like Tiffany said --- just do what makes you less crazy! I think that's the best advice

Leigh said...

no you're not crazy, I usually start worrying 4 months or so in advance....and if any of my kids were close together I would TOTALLY have their parties together! Remember, you can still make a special 1st birthday, but she will never remember it, and you probably won't either....after Noah's 1st party which was big I never did a big 1st party again. It was fun but just too much! Good Luck!