Tuesday, May 19, 2009

coupons part 2

I'm going to attempt to give you a little more information on how to get started on couponing.

I would like to say that I am FAR from the real pros, but in a short time I've learned a lot and I'm just so excited to share.

I should add I did get 4 liquid dial soaps and 4 weber grill mates for free today at Kroger. Gotta love it!


So lets get started...

1. I think being organized is most important.

You really need to buy some sort of binder. I choose a large 2 inch binder with lots of cool pockets and it zips closed which is nice so you don't loose any coupons.

I also LOVE using baseball card protectors for the coupons. That was a brilliant idea from Melissa. That way its easy to glance through and find what you are looking for.

You also need dividers. I did labels like canned items, condiments, fridge stuff, baking, frozen, etc... you can come up with something. I do think having more dividers sort of helps so you don't have to search forever to find a specific coupon.


2. Now to getting the coupons.

I buy 4 newpapers every weekend. You can buy the double pack papers for $5. So right off the back you spend $10... but trust me you will definitly save WAY more than that in one week. Shoot I saved $8 alone today with my coupons! Cutting does a take a while, but just sit down during your kids nap time or after they are in bed and cut and organize in your binder.

You can also get coupons all over the Internet. Here are a few places my friend Melissa recommended, but I know there are tons more out there. (If you know of some you like please add them to the comments section.)
http://www.thecouponmom.com/
http://www.coupons.com/
http://www.afullcup.com/target-coupon-generator/
http://www.organicgrocerydeals.com/forums/view.php?pg=coupon_generator

There are also usually coupons in your weekly ads.


3. Which brings me to figuring out what to buy....

Around here we typically get our ads in the mail on Wednesday, but for some reason they actually came today. Most grocery store ads run Wednesday to Tuesday of the next week. But then you have places like Target and they run Sunday to Saturday.

So today I went through the ads and compared the sale items with what coupons I knew I had to figure out what great deals where out there to be had. I made a list (separated by store) of what is on sale and what coupon I had. That way when I actually go to the store with my girls I'm not searching for what was on sale where... I know exactly what I need at that store. Plus a list always helps you keep on track.

You also want to be looking for good prices on meats and veggies. Typically you don't get coupons for those, so those things you want to stock up on when you can or for veggies buy what is on sale. This week corn on the cob is on sale cheap (5 for $1) at several places!

Some cool things I've learned is that you can use store coupons in combination with manufacture coupons. Say you get some Target coupons in the mail (they have been sending out a lot this Spring) and you have $1.00 off Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. Say that dressing is on sale this week for $1.50 and you also happen to have a $.50 coupon from your Sunday paper. So you would get that dressing for FREE! Cool huh.

Oh and while I'm thinking of it. Target and Walmart do not double or triple coupons. However, Kroger, Albertsons and Tom Thumb double up to .50 and triple up to .39 every day of the week. I'm not sure about Market Street?

So if you have a coupon for .50 off, you will automatically get $1 off at the three places I listed above. This also means if you have a .55 coupon it wont be doubled.


I think this is all I have for now. I hope this all makes sense and that maybe I've encouraged a couple of you to do this. Oh and please check out these blogs as well. My friend Melissa also gave me these so thank her! These ladies tell you where all the best deals are!!

http://www.yourcouponbuddy.com/
http://www.thecentsiblesawyer.blogspot.com/
http://www.survivingthestores.com/
http://makingcentsintexas.wordpress.com/

CVS and Walgreens also have some great deals too, but I'm just starting with the grocery store!!

A few more thoughts...
I should add that I'm a pretty big meal planner. This has put a slight cramp in that. Instead of buying everything I need that week, I'm buying whats on sale and using things I've stocked up on to make my meals. You definitely need a little space for when you stock up on things, but if its something you know you will use at some point and it doesn't go bad anytime soon, might as well buy it!

If you have any questions please let me know. If I don't know the answer I will ask my coupon God (aka Melissa... whom by the way is welcoming another baby girl into her life tomorrow!! We can't wait to meet Olivia!!!)

Happy couponing!!

6 comments:

The Lada Family said...

okay - you'll have to give me a coupon run down when you're hear cause I just skimmed that post. It's 10 and I still have to watch idol - PRIOROTIES :-)

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Wow, lady - I'm impressed! I don't know that I would ever be organized or smart enough to keep up with all that...proud of you! Have you ever played the "grocery game"? A few of the women from my church are huge fans of that - apparently they get so much free stuff they donate half of it to food pantries and everything.

High Heels and Huntin' Boots said...

Thanks, girl! I GREATLY appreciate the info!

Lisa said...

ONe more thing... a lot of people have heard of the Grocery Game... which is totally great it just can get a little pricey. It's only $1 for the first month, but I believe its $10 after that and an additional $5/store... so for me it would be at least $20! But if you only shop one store it might be a good deal.

Anyway, happy shopping!

allie said...

Good job girl! I have tried to do this several times and I guess I just don't have the personality. I am also too picky (stubborn!) about what I buy. Maybe I can get motivated again one day! I rarely buy anything that is not on sale though, so I have that going for me, haha!

Lindsay said...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/kraftcoupons.aspx


found this one :)