Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bottle Drama

Okay so I know this is completely my fault...

Since I am nursing we didn't indroduce the bottle until Gracie was 4 weeks old. We had a few minor problems with nipple confusion so we waited a couple more weeks till she was 6 weeks old. She took an Avent bottle this time with no problem. We gave it to her a few times and it went well. So we waited a few weeks (not really intentially, but it is just so easy to nurse her since its always warm and ready to go, we have no mess with bottles, dethawing frozen milk, etc). So last week we tried to give her a bottle and she wouldn't have it! GREAT! So for the last week we have given a bottle to her every night with a failed attempt. I thought maybe we should change out the nipple size, so I went to a 2 in the Avent bottles. We got her to take 1.5 ounces... needless to say I'm so frustrated. I would like to spend more than 2 hours away from my daughter. Don't get me wrong, I love having her and I love nursing, but I need just a night or an afternoon away from her. So my question is what should I do? I'm not sure that it is the bottle. Sshould I let her cry until she is so hungry that she eats it? Should I try another bottle... I've heard Dr. Brown is good? Any sugguestions please let me know!

I am actually suppose to be going to eat at III Forks in Dallas on May 13th with Adam's work so I will be gone from 4 in the afternoon till probably around midnight. I am not planning on missing it so I need her to take a bottle by then. HELP!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

We had the same prob. at first with Travis.. but he was a lot younger.... I would try Dr. Browns.. and the size with the wider nipple...maybe the nippes are just to thin for her. They have Dr. Brons at Walmart, Target and Babies R us.. but not at any drugstores.GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this Lisa. Don't blame yourself too much. Try different bottles. If that doesn't work you can wait until she is pretty hungry and then give her a bottle. I have heard of a few people doing that (even though it would be hard to see her cry like that).
Good luck with that! I am thinking of you!

Melanee said...

A really good friend of mine is going through this. Well, they thought they got it figured out, but after they did, he didn't want the breast as much anymore. I guess he would just get used to one thing and only want that one. She tried everything, and finally what worked was switching to a #2 nipple (same Avent bottle you use). Have you tried having Adam feed him a bottle and you not being around for it, where she can see or smell you? Now, if he throws a fit, she has to just wait till he's tired himself out from crying, and then he'll eat. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I guess it's really common. (A reason I love formula!) Good luck getting it worked out.

Anonymous said...

Give her to me and go out and have some fun. If she gets hungry enough....believe me she will eat. In the meantime I can have her all to myself!
Love Nana