Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Stay at Home Mom = Domestic Engineer

I found this on Salary.com and thought it was pretty interesting.

"If paid, a stay at home mom would earn $134,121 annually. Working moms would earn $85,876 annually for the "mom job" portion of their work, in addition to their actual "work job" salary."

A stay at home moms job desription:
"Housekeeper, teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, driver, CEO, pyschologist...." plus all the other little jobs that don't fit in these categories.

So now the question is which is better?? I think it totally depends on your little family. For Adam and I this was a tough decision (probably harder for me). I loved my job.. a lot! In fact I miss it a lot too. And when I was up there last week just saying hi to everyone my old boss asked if I wanted to come back. VERY tempting. However, after a lot of thought, I'm simply not ready. Maybe at some point. But I think for those that do work it doesn't make them any worse or better... we just all have to do what is right for our family. And I do thank God daily for the gift of letting me stay home with my baby. It is just such an amazing gift.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have made the right decision Lisa. Gracie will never be able to thank you enough for the support of having you home. :)

Anonymous said...

There is no right or wrong answer. I feel that our kids really need us when they get older. They need you when they get home from school, to make sure hw is getting done, make sure they are getting to their baseball, football, or whatever they may be doing. The interaction with other kids in daycare teaches them how to adapt in that environment so they are prepared when they get to go to school. Being there for the first 6 months to a year is great cause they need the motherly bond, but after that they need to grow and providing that interaction with other kids. Again, just my opinion and there is not right or wrong answer, i grew up with a stay at home mom.

Lindsay said...

SAHM.... Im right there with yah!!!
Its just gonna get better daily!!

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»